Hok Tau and Sha Lo Tung
Next date for this tour: Saturday 08 March 2014.
This route starts at Lau Shui Heung reservoir, from where we walk via the Fire
Lookout (map marker 2) to Hok Tau Reservoir, one of the most idyllic reservoirs of the New
Territories. This are two small irrigation reservoirs, set in beautiful natural
After that we walk through the lush woods towards the wetlands of Sha Lo
Tung, an abandoned village in a very tranquil environment. This area is surrounded
by hills, allowing water to collect here. The buildings of the two main villages
here are rated grade II historical buildings, and the area is a major habitat of
dragonflies and damselflies. Explore the typical Hakka houses, and see
how the people there lived.
In Sha Lo Tung is a small restaurant service snacks including dou-fu-fa, the sweet
From there we walk down via Fung Yuen, where we may pay a visit to the
Butterfly Reserve, and take a minibus or taxi back to Tai Wo MTR station.
- Meet 9:30 at Fanling MTR station, from there take taxi (fare approx. $60)
to Lau Shui Heung reservoir.
- Walk up to the Fire Lookout to enjoy the views over the area
(map marker 2).
- Down the other side, and walk around Hok Tau reservoir (map marker 3).
- Follow the river on to Sha Lo Tung (map marker 4) to explore the old
- Down to Fung Yuen (route end marker).
- Minibus or taxi to Tai Wo MTR station.
This is an easy going walk of about 8 km, with limited height differences.
For more info, check out the related
Fee per person: HK$ 180.